AIHS Summer Studentships
The Alberta Innovates Health Solutions (AIHS) Summer Studentship program provides funding to support students engaging in health sciences research during the summer months (May-August). The intent of the program is to encourage such students to consider careers in medical/health research.
As of January 2016, the Undergraduate Research Initiative administers the AIHS Summer Studentship program at the University of Alberta. Please contact URI for all inquiries related to the program. Please do not apply to AIHS directly.
Program Guide (for applicants and award recipients)
Please note: The AIHS Summer Studentship application form and adjudication criteria have changed for the Summer 2017 application cycle. Please review the new program guide for detailed information about student and supervisor eligibility, award conditions, adjudication criteria, and application instructions.
|Key changes for the Summer 2017 application cycle
- Applications will be adjudicated on the basis of project merit, quality of the proposal, student's role & skill development, and the supervisor's fit & commitment.
- Greater emphasis has been placed on the student's contribution to the application. Students are asked to write a project abstract, a statement on their anticipated skill development, and address the relevance of their academic background/past experience to the proposed research. Reference letters are not required.
- Supervisors no longer need to submit a comprehensive list of publications from the last 3 years. Supervisors must select 3-5 publications most relevant to the proposal and describe their relevance to the proposed work.
- Supervisors must list the specific operating grant(s) and award amounts that will support the student's proposed research.
Applicants are encouraged to review the program guide, including the revised adjudication rubric, prior to applying.
How to apply
The AIHS Summer Studentship application must be submitted online. Paper or email application forms will not be accepted.
We recommend that students and supervisors complete the application form together using the offline template provided, then students should submit the final, completed version through the Google Form. Students must also submit their transcripts to email@example.com
to complete their application.
Note: The URI does not require Faculties to sign off on AIHS Summer Studentship applications. The URI will contact Faculties directly to confirm supervisor eligibility.
The deadline for applications for Summer 2017 is Monday, February 6, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed. Please note, your application is not considered complete until both the Google Form and the student transcripts have been received.
Applicants will be informed (via email) of the competition results by early April.
Resources for Applicants
||The URI offers the following support for AIHS applicants:
URI Seminar: How to apply for research funding
- Saturday, January 14, 11:30-12:30p.m. (Augustana Campus)
- Tuesday, January 31, 12:35-1:20 p.m. (1-031 CCIS)
- Tuesday, February 7, 5:05-5:50 p.m. (2-100 SUB)
- Wednesday, February 8, 12:05-12:50 p.m. (1-031 CCIS)
AIHS Summer Studentship Information sessions (for Supervisors)
AIHS Summer Studentship Information sessions (for Students)
- Thursday, January 5, 12:05-12:50 p.m. (2-430 ECHA)
- Friday, January 6, 12:05-12:50 p.m. (2-430 ECHA)
- Wednesday, January 11, 12:05-12:50 p.m. (1-490 ECHA)
- Thursday, January 12, 5:05-5:50 p.m. (2-150 ECHA)
- Monday, January 16, 12:05-12:50 p.m.(1-182 ECHA)
Still have questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.